The Jake Adam York Prize is open to poets writing in English, who live in the US or are US citizens, and who have published no more than one full-length poetry collection. The prize is a collaboration between Copper Nickel and Milkweed Editions.
The prize-winning poet will receive $2,000 and publication by MILKWEED EDITIONS. The prize is facilitated by the staff of COPPER NICKEL.
All entrants will receive a one-year subscription to COPPER NICKEL in exchange for their reading fee.
• Translations are not eligible, nor are previously self-published books.
• Current employees of the University of Colorado Denver or Milkweed Editions are not eligible, not are current University of Colorado Denver students.
• Individual poems in a submitted manuscript may have been previously published in periodicals and/or in chapbooks. If so, please include an acknowledgments page.
• All initial screeners for the prize will have published at least one poetry collection. Screening will be facilitated by the poetry staff of Copper Nickel (Wayne Miller, Brian Barker, & Nicky Beer). No screener will screen a manuscript by a friend, colleague, or former student.
• The judge for 2018 will be MARK DOTY. All finalists will be asked to affirm that they are neither close friends, current colleagues, nor current or recent students (within the past three years) of Mr. Doty.
• The winning poet will be notified in early March 2019. Milkweed Editions will publish the winning book in February 2020.
• Upload a manuscript of poetry in word, pdf, or rich text format.
• Include two cover pages—one with the author's identifying information on it, the other with just the title.
• Please exclude any other identifying features in the manuscript that might make clear the author's identity.
For more details, and for information about past winners, visit Copper Nickel's Book Prize Page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Copper Nickel's editor/managing editor Wayne Miller at email@example.com.