The Jake Adam York Prize
is open to poets writing in English
, who live in the US or are US citizens
, and who have published no more than one full-length poetry collection
. The prize is a collaboration between Copper Nickel
and Milkweed Editions
The prize-winning poet will receive $2,000
and publication by MILKWEED EDITIONS
. The prize is facilitated by the staff of COPPER NICKEL
All entrants will receive a one-year subscription to COPPER NICKEL
in exchange for their reading fee.
• Translations are not eligible, nor are previously self-published books.
• Current employees of the University of Colorado Denver or Milkweed Editions are not eligible, not are current University of Colorado Denver students.
• Work in a submitted manuscript may have been previously published in periodicals or in chapbooks
. If so, please include an acknowledgments page.
• All initial screeners for the prize will have published at least one poetry collection.
Screening will be facilitated by the poetry staff of Copper Nickel
screener will screen a manuscript by a friend, colleague, or former
• The judge for 2016 will be Victoria Chang
finalists will be asked to affirm that they are neither close friends,
current colleagues, nor current or recent students (within the past
three years) of Ms. Chang.
• The winner will be notified in early March, 2018
• Upload a manuscript of poetry in word, pdf, or rich text format
• Include two cover pages
—one with the author's identifying information on it, the other with just the title.
• Please exclude any other identifying features
in the manuscript that might make clear the author's identity.
If you have any questions or concerns
, please email Copper Nickel's editor/managing editor Wayne Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.